Munchies for the Super Bowl: Edible Recipes Perfect for Game Day
Kickoff with Cannabutter
The first step in any successful cannabis kitchen mission is to cook up some cannabutter. This ensures your weed is decarboxylated, or ‘activated,’ and ready to be added to any recipe.
If you’ve never made cannabutter before or need some pro tips, check out our guide on How To Make Cannabutter.
Whether you’re a massive football fan or just waiting for the halftime show, this is not the time to be couch-locked and dozing off. Choose a sativa strain for maximum buzz without sedative effects, such as Sparket Strawberry Cough. Another great option is an energizing euphoric hybrid like Hicksford White Widow.
We recommend you use the Saturday before to get your cannabutter sorted so, come Super Bowl Sunday time, you’re ready to bake… and get baked.
The Huddle: Cannabis-Infused Melty Cheese and Beer Dip
There’s no faster way to get your friends in a huddle around the snack table than to drop this pot of cheesy bliss in the middle of it.
Just about anything would taste good if you plunged it into this dope dip, but we recommend serving it with pretzels, sausages, and some sliced carrots for crunch.
This recipe requires some whisking effort over the stove, but it’ll score major points with your guests.
- 1/4 cup cannabutter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 oz. beer of choice (we recommend IPA)
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 6 oz. shredded fontina cheese
- 6 oz. shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Chopped chives and black pepper
- Melt your cannabutter in a medium saucepan over medium to low heat.
- Chuck in the chopped onion and stir for about five minutes until it’s soft.
- Add the flour bit by bit while whisking constantly and cook until lightly browned. This should take about a minute.
- Gradually pour in your choice of beer and half-and-half. Keep the whisk action going - it’s the secret to a smooth and creamy dip. When the sauce is thickened and beginning to bubble, reduce the heat to low.
- Sprinkle the cheese in gradually and let it melt while whisking constantly. Don’t be tempted to crank the heat to speed up the process, as the cheese could separate and leave you with an oily mess.
- When fully melted, take the mixture off the heat. Whisk in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce. When it’s fully combined, you’re free to ditch the whisk at last.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or a small slow-cooker to keep it warm. Garnish with chives and black pepper. Restrain your urge to lick it out of the bowl in the kitchen.
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman
The Touchdown: Crunchy Cannabis Cereal Bites
We’ll be honest, these might be intercepted before they even make it out the kitchen.
Affectionately known as “Texas Trash,” this snack is an absolute winner for its addictive salty, spicy seasoning and irresistible crunch. They’ll be snapped up the minute they touch down on your snack table.
Use this recipe as a guide but feel free to mix it up with your favorite crunchy ingredients and flavorings.
- 1 cup Cheerios Toasted Oat Cereal
- 2 cups Wheat Chex
- 2 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups Corn Chex
- 1 cup pretzel crisps
- 1 cup nuts
- 1/2 cup melted cannabutter
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- Set the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss all the seasoning ingredients together in a bowl, making sure your salts and spices are thoroughly mixed into the melted cannabutter. Go easy on the Tabasco and cayenne pepper if you’re not a fan of heat.
- Place your mix of dry ingredients in a baking pan. It’s important that the layer isn’t too deep or they won’t crisp up nicely, so spread them out into two pans if needed.
- Pour the cannabutter seasoning mixture over the dry ingredients and stir well until every piece is coated.
- Bake for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes to make sure it toasts evenly.
- Let it cool completely and transfer to a serving bowl. Fight off your friends on your way to the TV.
Recipe adapted from Insanely Good.
Enjoying Cannabis Treats Safely
Edibles take a while to kick in, so don’t expect to go from snacking to stoned in the first quarter. If you want the buzz to kick in during the game, serve your canna-bites about an hour before kickoff. If you munch while the game is on, you can expect the buzz to hit sometime during post-game celebrations.
Remember to let your guests know there’s a secret in-green-dient in their snacks, and go easy on the quantities - especially if you’re drinking alcohol, too.